Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Met

If there was one grand fashion affair I'd like to attend, it would be The Metropolitan Costume Gala. You can pretty much wear anything to this event and brush off the criticisms in the name of couture.


The main trends of the evening included black lace, feathers, mermaid styles, red, and nude.


And, would you look at this!! I just knew the Royals would inspire us commoners to incorporate extravagant hats into our repertoire.

What's happening with the egg hat though? Is Lady Gaga hiding in it?


Nude long sleeve dresses. I like SJP's Alexander McQueen best.


Red.
Sorry, Rachel Barry, I know you have a better singing voice, but Quinn totally outdid you on the red situation.

ps. have you downloaded their duet "I Feel Pretty/Unpretty" yet? I've been listening to it on repeat.

Liv, loving the ombre feathers!
Givenchy Haute Couture

This is the first time in recent memory that I have loved MK's look and hated Ashley's. Usually it's completely the opposite.

Doesn't Kate just look like a dream come true all swaddled in nude silk-satin? Pardon the generic expression, but she's glowing!


See, I told you Isla looks amaze-balls in jewel tones.
Tory Burch

I don't know how I feel about Blake wrapping herself in a sheet before she came. Was there a toga themed after-party the public wasn't informed of? Her only saving grace is that the sheet is Chanel Haute Couture.



Favorites:

GG was my lady-crush of the night. She looks positively gorgeous in this emerald Topshop (let me repeat, Topshop) dress. Love her hair, makeup and accessories (minus the shoe with the random jean panel slipped in them).

Taylor Swift in J. Mendel (the designer was also her date. ahh the lifestyles of the rich and famous.)

Eva in Stella. SM had a lot of dresses on the red carpet this evening, but Eva's is my fave.

Emma Roberts looking every bit the teenage dream in Michael Kors

Diane Kruger in Jason Wu

And, since I like to fancy myself important enough to bestow fashion awards, here they are:
Most unflattering:
Madonna in Stella McCartney

Most inappropriate:

Joy Bryant in a glorified sweater dress by Missoni.

Really, Joy?
REALLY??


Let's play pretend here: which trend would you have sported?
I like to think I would have worn something super over-the-top, with long sleeves, and an enormous hat (duh.)

3 comments:

Laura Burtis said...

OMG - I LOVE Ginnifer's dress AND hair! {Really I just love her... I'm SO excited about Something Borrowed this weekend :)} Emma Roberts look gorgeous too!!

Carly said...

LOVE SJP's and I would give my big toe to own that dress just to put it on even if I only had the house to walk around in it. Desperately want Demi's hat and reason to wear it. But my fav is ISLA.....we are secretly BFF's. I dream of wearing strapless.....but must cut my boobies off and do some major shrinkage before I can embody that look. LOL

The Bensons said...

I have got to go with emma roberts. She looks beyond stunning!!