Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Make-up on a Budget

Time for another reader question! Can you believe it? They are, like, pouring in. We LOVE it!

Just be patient with our slight delay in posting the answer :)

This week's question is from my friend Ashley {who, incidentally, I have known since like 3rd grade, and I am so glad she reads the blog. Yay!!}

"I am make-up challenged so it's fun to read your suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for decent make-up that I could buy at, like, Target? I used to only wear MAC but now I just can't bring myself to buy the department store stuff anymore but I also can't find any make-up that I'm thrilled about at my good old Target!"

Good thing I am a magazine junkie because I have read so many great articles lately proclaiming the wonders of drug-store makeup. Can it be true that there are some miracle-workers out there that are also, dare I say, CHEAP?

I have done exhaustive research and feel confident in my ability to recommend a few products from several makeup categories.

First let me say that if you are going to splurge on any one thing, let it be foundation! This is the "base" {pardon the pun} to all good makeup. Although sufficient substitutes can be found, you may want to save your pennies for this one extravagance.

That being said, here is "The List":


Foundation: Cover Girl & Olay Simply Ageless, L'oreal True Match, or Revlon Color Stay *Opinions vastly differ on this subject so my best advice is to read about each of the suggestions online and choose one that is best suited to your particular skin type.*

Pressed Powder: I usually do not suggest powder to anyone unless you have oily skin, BUT I have heard good things about L'oreal True Match Super Blendable Powder. Just please don't keep reapplying it all day. Please.

Mineral Powder/Foundation: The consensus is that L'oreal Bare Natural Mineral Foundation is a close carbon-copy of Bare Escentuals

Concealer: L'oreal True Match or Maybelline Dream Mousse {Tip: use a more sheer concealer for under the eyes, or mix your heavier concealer with a touch of moisturizer before you apply to undereye area.} Oh, and you know how I feel about Carmindy's pink brightening concealer for under eyes. It is miraculously still available for purchase here.

Blush: L'oreal True Match or NYX Powder Blush *Choose something that looks bright, because it will be much more sheer once it is on your skin. Brighter blush is better blush!* {I just made that up}


Bronzer: This is a toughie. I wish I could go to the drugstore and personally help each of you pick out the right bronzer. Rules of thumb: Nothing too orange or too shimmery. The lighter you are, the lighter your bronzer should be. Apply it to the outer perimeter of your face, plus where the sun would naturally kiss you: down the nose, on the cheeks and around the temples. That being said, try Physician's Formula or NYX

Mascara: Cover Girl Lash Blast

**Note about mascara: If it is $1 or $25, use what works for you! You know your lashes best!**

Pencil Eyeliner: L'oreal Infalliable Never Fail Eyeliner or any Wet N' Wild

Eye Shadow: L'oreal HIP Shadow Duos {these have the most pigment and have a similar formula to more expensive alternatives}


Eye Shadow Base: For those of you who are familiar with MAC's paints, I have a revelation for you! L'oreal has come up with a pretty convincing substitute in their HIP Cream Shadow Paint. It makes a great eyeshadow base, especially for those of you who live in hot or muggy climates!
All Over Highlighter: ELF Shimmering Facial Whip in Pink Lemonade or Citrus Revlon Color Stay Mineral Finish Powder in Brighten {these are great for the high planes of your face, i.e. the top of your cheekbones, under your brows, down your nose, or above your cupids bow}

.:FYI:. I am in no way affiliated with L'oreal Makeup, it just so happened that many of the best drugstore options fall under their brand name :)

Let me know if you try any of the suggestions or have any of your own to add to the list!

post signature

8 comments:

kayla and tyler said...

L'oreal True Match is the most amazing stuff EVER. I highly recommend it! Where do you get the ELF shimmering facial whip?? it looks fun, I'd love to try it!

Courtney Rogers said...

Hey Kayla! You can buy ELF at pretty much any drugstore, including Target!

The Stockton Family said...

Yay! Thanks Courtney! I can't wait to try some of these. I actually got the True Match foundation and am plesantly surprised! I can't wait to try the HIP paint because I LOVE the MAC paint so much! Thanks again!

Connie said...

I will back up the elf whip it's my favorite for highlighting my face. LOVE it and it's super cheap (: I can't wait to get that blush now.. what pretty color!

Any favorite lipsticks for dark brunettes?

The Cluffs said...

Can I just say... I love your blog! Such great tips, can't wait to try a few of these!!!!

JD and Hillary Darner said...

I just have to add that I went to Target today and saw the ELF highlighter was only 1.00.!! ONE. DOLLAR.
What a find!

Joy B. said...

OK, I bought the Sally Hansen product you say you LOVE and I have no clue how to wear it. I have olive skin with dark eyes/circles so I was hoping this would help. It doesn't stay on long and I don't know where to put it. WHY do you love it SO much? Tell your secret please...

Courtney Rogers said...

Hi Joy! Sorry it took me a couple days to respond, I just saw your comment!
Okay. Since you have olive skin, the best thing to do is first use a sheer concealer under your eyes that matches your skin tone. Dust that with powder to set it, and then take the Sally Hansen brightener and, using your ring finger, put it on the inside corner of your eye and blend downward. This will brighten the under eye area with the light-reflecting pink based concealer. This will make your eyes look wider and brighter! Just experiment a little to blend the concealers to best match your skin tone. Let me know if you have any other questions!

C

PS the reason I love this concealer so much is that it is one of two products I have found that will brighten the undereye area and get rid of dark circles without loading on heavy-looking concealer. Hope this helps!