Wednesday, June 30, 2010

SPF

It's Summatime! I know you are all laying out, or thinking of laying out, so this post is for you.



Since H and I are both going on vacation this weekend, I wanted to be sure to cement in everyone's mind the importance of sunscreen. Although we will both be blogging from our respective vacation destinations, I thought this would be a good post for all of you out there who are already sun worshipping in the warm {okay, hot} weather.

I know who you are.

Ready for a lecture?

I have read some amaze-balls articles lately on little factoids about SPF, sun burns, and the such as. Like, did you know that no suncreen is truly water- proof? Or that a simple, moderately severe sunburns damage the blood vessels to such an extent that it takes four to fifteen months for them to return to their normal condition?

If that doesn't scare you then you don't have a soul.

kidding.


I shall also relay some pearls of wisdom from a recent InStyle article that caught my eye:

A dermatologist told InStyle that "One bottle of sunscreen should last two people about a day at the pool--not an entire summer." WHAT?! Crazy huh. This article {pg. 202 of June's issue} also says that you should use 4 ounces of sunscreen and re-apply every 2 hours. To put this into perspective, a normal bottle of sunblock ranges from 4-6 oz.

Do I tell you this to scare you? Maybe. But also, I am a huge advocate for prevention of sun damage, and doing a little bit is better than doing nothing at all.


Some other impressive stats: SPF 30 does NOT provide twice the protection of SPF 15. SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays and SPF 30 blocks 97%. This is not me advocating that less is more for SPF numbers. It is me saying that more is more.

Another fact is that most of the suncreens sold contain only CHEMICAL protectants. The (small and simple explaination) difference between PHYSICAL and CHEMICAL sunscreens is that PHYSICAL blocks the rays and CHEMICAL allows the rays into your body but them breaks them up once they penetrate. It is really important to get PHYSICAL suncreens i.e.: Zinc and Titanuim Dioxide. Check the back of the suncreen bottle and it will list the most active ingredients. This is where you will make sure to have Zinc and Titanium.

Take this advice especially for your little ones. I just bought an awesome sunbock for Dean, it is called Johnson's Baby Suncreen Lotion and its main protectants are PHYSICAL sunscreens.

{I got it for $10 at Target.}

Another good physical, natural sunblock is Burt's Bees {also at Target, $13}

Have I frightened you sufficiently to prompt you to go buy some sun protection? Good.


Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go pack my swimsuit cover-up, floppy hat, and oversized shades for my vaca.


Oh, and my protection.

{from the sun, that is}

post signature

1 comment:

Becah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.