Sunday, April 4, 2010

Reader Question: concealer

Our next reader question comes courtesy of Alisse:

"I am wondering what your favorite concealer is.
I don't usually wear anything but eye makeup and some lipgloss, so I'm not sure what would be the best for my situation. I've never worn foundation, but occasionally will wear powder.
Every concealer I try either doesn't match my pale skin or makes the blemish more obvious by looking dry/peely."

Okay, it sounds like you have slightly dry skin. My suggestion would be to wear a tinted moisturizer (go here, or here) everyday that will give your skin moisture, SPF, and a little bit of coverage. This will help with some unsightly spots. If you are still wanting to move into concealer, I suggest something that is a little bit on the pinker side, because a yellow-based concealer will look really yellow on pale skin. It is hard to say what color to use unless I know what brand you like, but something light-weight is probably best.

According to my sources and research, the best {drugstore} concealer is
L'Oreal Paris True Match
As always, I go with what I know, which is MAC. I like the Select Moisturecover because it is lightweight and won't make your blemish look "dry and peely" :)

While we are the topic of concealers, I need to vent. My BEYOND FAVORITE under-eye concealer is discontinued! Why does this always happen to me? Grrr.
Last week I went into Ulta, minding my own business, my $5 off $10 coupon burning a hole in my pocket, and was blindsided by the news that my beloved concealer is no longer available.

After hours of searching online, I found some on CVS {and I might have bought several.} It is called Sally Hansen Fast Fix Concealer All-Over-Brightener. The line is by Carmindy, the lovely make-up artist on What Not to Wear. And let me share this exclusive secret with you. You can still find the concealer here!!! Let me know if you buy it. And seriously, this is my ultimate under-eye concealer, one of my tricks of the trade.

2 comments:

{alisse t} said...

Thanks!
I will be trying your suggestions until I find one that works! I remember trying some of my Mom's Mac concealers one time & liking it the best, so I'm off to see which works best for me...
Thanks again! :)

Jamie said...

I'm in search of a good under eye concealer. I use mac now but I'm not in love with it. I use to Use Lancome but they just discontinued it. I may have to go try the one you suggested. Thanks!